I'm really fat/large/heavy/big boned/glandular. Will your PFDs float me?
If you are within the size chart dimensions Stohlquist PFDs will float you.
Why do some PFDs have mesh in the back?
Several types of kayaks, like Sit-On-Top kayaks have a specially designed cordura shelled foam seat inserts attached to the boat. These high back seats provide extra support and comfort. Several of our pfd models are specifically designed with the back foam positioned above the "high-back" seat.
What is the best PFD for canoeing?
The best choice for any type of paddling (or sailing) depends on the conditions you expect for most of the time you are on the water. Rescue pfds are just as useful to canoeists as kayakers. Fishing PFD's have lots of extra storage capabilities, even if you are not going fishing. Whitewater vests offer side-zip entry so pockets may be maximized, centrally located for maximum agility... a big plus, depending on your style of paddling (ie: solo whitewater).
How long will a PFD last?
- Instructions printed advise checking your pfd at the beginning of each season to check the degree of buoyancy remaining. Proper treatment is the key to PFD longevity.
- Protect your pfd from extended Ultraviolet light exposure (sun), and the extremes of hot and cold to minimize premature aging.
- Sitting on your pfd or stuffing it under deckrigging will ruin the soft foam quickly.
- 500 denier nylon shell fabrics are the most resilient and wear resistant.
- Pfd life can range from 3 months to 20 years. Average life can exceed 5 years.
Is there a PFD that will fit everyone in my family, including my kids?
Legally, the O.S.F.A. (one size fits all) will if your kids are at least 90 lbs.
What is the best PFD for whitewater boating?
We, as whitewater paddlers, like having the ability to carry items along, have things at our fingertips, and streamlined pockets so we are not bulked up to inhibit agility or speed in rolling back up upright. Whitewater vests offer side-zip entry so pockets may be maximized, centrally located for maximum agility.
What is the best PFD for sailing?
Our specialty is "wet sailing" and our short cut, side and front entry, streamlined fitting whitewater PFDs offer the greatest agility. Bulkless flat front pockets are best, especially when you get dragged back on board after a turtle or pitchpole.
Do you make custom PFDs (colors, sizes, etc)?
Currently, custom colors and embroidery are seasonally available on many Stohlquist PFD models, for quantities with ample advance lead time. Please call us for availability.